Police Log - Just 'one' drink



While traveling north on Warwick Avenue on Oct. 5 around 12:39 a.m., officer Christopher Cote observed a blue Honda driving in front of him that was drifting to the left along the road’s white dotted lines. The vehicle then drifted into the officer’s lane of travel without using a turn signal. A short distance later, the vehicle straddled the white lines separating the travel lanes. A traffic stop was then conducted in the vicinity of 1668 Warwick Ave.

The officer then made contact with the driver, later identified as Mary Vann, 28, of 89 Waverly St., Apt. 1 in Providence. She provided the officer with her license and proof of insurance, and stated that she was coming from a friend’s house and was headed home. The officer reported that, while speaking with Vann, he detected the smell of alcoholic beverages. When asked how much she had to drink, Vann mumbled something inaudible. The officer asked the question again, and Van allegedly stated that she had one drink. Officer Cote then asked how long ago she had the drink and Vann said that she had it two weeks ago.

Vann was then asked to turn the vehicle off and hand the officer her keys, which she did. Other officers arrived on scene shortly thereafter to assist. Vann then agreed to take a series of standardized sobriety tests. Based upon her performance during testing, and the officer’s training and experience, it was determined that Vann would be placed under arrest for suspicion of driving under the influence. Her car was later towed from the scene, and she was transported to police headquarters.

At the station Vann refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test. She was processed and charged with driving under the influence first offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, laned roadway violations, and turn signal required. She was secured in a holding cell until she was released to a sober adult.


On Sept. 28 at approximately 7:55 p.m., Officer John Zaborski was dispatched to the Hoxsie School on Glenwood Drive for a report of malicious damage in progress. At the scene he spoke with the reporting party who stated she witnessed an older silver model vehicle doing donuts in the field at the school. She provided a license plate number to the officer, however no match was found. Officer Zaborski then canvassed the surrounding are without finding the suspect vehicle.


Officer Thomas Duncan was dispatched to the Greenwich Avenue Lowes for a shoplifting complaint on Sept. 29 around 3:28 p.m. Upon arrival he spoke with a loss prevention manager, who stated that an unknown black female entered the store with an empty carriage. She was described as approximately 5’ 4” tall, 200 pounds, wearing jeans, a sleeveless multi colored shirt and flop flops.

The suspect first selected a Poulan Chainsaw, then selected a Simpson 3600 pressure washer and placed them in the cart. The woman then walked to the front of the store and passed through the self-checkout area without making an attempt to pay and exited the store. The total loss to Lowes was $808, and surveillance video captured the incident. The store wished to press charges if the suspect is found.


Around 3:52 on Sept. 28, Officer Gregory Johnson was on patrol on Elmwood Avenue traveling behind a blue Ford F150 truck. The truck appeared to be unsafely loaded with construction debris. According to the report, a French door was overhanging the driver’s side of the truck by approximately four feet, and had nearly struck the mirror of a RIPTA bus as the truck passed it on the right. In addition, the registration stickers were expired.

The vehicle was then stopped near Sixth Avenue, and the driver was later identified as Michael Mota, 36, of 18 Chaffee St. in Providence. He explained that he had recently purchased the vehicle but did not have any paperwork for it. A background check found that Mota’s license was suspended. He was charged with driving on a suspended license, his vehicle was towed and the truck’s license plates were seized.


Officer Thomas Duncan was dispatched to the Bald Hill Road Macy’s on Sept. 28 around 8:22 p.m. At the store he met with Macy’s loss prevention detective, who advised that a female suspect, later identified as Sanam Bidadi, 35, of 30 Meshanticut Valley Pkwy in Cranston, entered the store around 6:40 p.m. She was observed carrying an orange backpack, and selected several shirts. She then approached the register and purchased a shirt. She then returned to the men’s department and selected more shirts and headed to the dressing room. She later emerged leaving only empty hangars in the fitting room.

Bidadi was then observed leaving the store with the unpaid merchandise. She was approached by security and brought back into the store. There were 17 items total, some damaged from having their security tags removed, recovered. The total value of the shoplifted items was $431.21. Security informed the officer that the store wished to press charges.

Bidadi was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters, where she was processed and released with a Third District Court summons for one count of shoplifting.


On Sept. 26 at approximately 2:37 a.m. Officer Steven Moretti was dispatched to Vickery Street for a report of an attempted larceny of tires and rims. While en route to the scene the officer was informed by dispatch that a neighbor had witnessed the incident and identified the suspect vehicle as a maroon SUV. The suspect was described as a 5’8” adult male wearing all black with a black hood.

At the scene the officer met with the reporting party, who stated she was in bed when she heard a car door close outside. She then saw the suspect and the vehicle, and that the man was crouching down behind a white Honda parked in a resident’s driveway.

The man was holding a tire iron and appeared to be removing lug nuts. The woman yelled out her window and said, “You shouldn’t be doing that get out of here.” The suspect replied, “Yes, you’re right” and then drove off in the SUV.

Officer Moretti then checked the vehicle and saw that the lug nuts on all four tires were removed, except for one on each tire. There were no lug nuts left on the ground. The owner of the vehicle was then contacted and informed of the situation.

Currently there are no suspects, and the report was forwarded to detectives for review.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment