Police Log - Sleeping in the grass



On June 30 at approximately 6:38 p.m., Officers Christopher Gillis and John Zaborski were dispatched to the Norwood Baptist Church on Budlong Avenue to check on the condition of a man who was lying on the grass.

At the scene the officers made contact with the man who was sleeping on the front lawn of the church. After waking up the man, later identified as Ricardo Lucas, 26, of 271 Union Avenue in Providence, the officers told him that they were there to ensure that he was okay. According to the report, Lucas spoke broken English but stated that he was okay and that he needed help getting home.

Officer Zaborski ran background checks on Lucas, which revealed that he had an outstanding warrant for failure to appear for a pre-trial conference out of the Sixth District Court. Lucas was later transported to police headquarters, where he was fingerprinted and photographed. After paperwork was completed, Lucas was transported to the ACI for the outstanding warrant charge.


Officer Tyler Stone responded to Kiwanee Road on July 1 around 8:30 a.m. for a report of stolen tires and rims.

Once at the residence, the complainant reported that all four rims and tires had been taken from his vehicles during the overnight hours. He stated that his car had been parked in his driveway at approximately 3 p.m. on June 30 and noted that the car was fine when he checked out the window around 11:30 p.m. He noticed the missing wheels around 8 a.m.

No visible prints could be located on the car. The interior of the car had been rifled through, however the only thing missing was the lug nut key which had been located in the glove box. The wheels and rims were estimated to be valued at $2,500. There are currently no suspects or witnesses.


While working the detail at Warwick Mall on June 24 around 7:35 p.m., Officer William Castaldi spoke with a female subject in regards to her wallet being stolen.

The woman stated that she was at the Dunkin’ Donuts located within the food court where she placed an order and had her wallet with her. She then placed the wallet down by the napkin dispenser at the drink pick up area and walked around the side of the counter to the sandwich pick up station to retrieve her order. When she returned back to the drink area, the wallet was gone.

Officer Castaldi had Warwick Mall security review video footage, which showed a woman with blonde hair in the area where the wallet was placed. Another woman with dark hair with dark rimmed glasses wearing a dress was also seen in the area, and the women had two small children with them.

As the officer was taking a statement from the victim, a laundromat card belonging to the woman was found. A check of the garbage cans in the surrounding area proved negative.

The wallet contained $215 in cash, identification cards, insurance cards, her AAA membership, and assorted debit and credit cards. The victim indicated that she did wish to pursue a criminal complaint if a suspect was found, and the report was forwarded to department detectives for review.


On June 25 at approximately 9 p.m., Officer Brian Fontaine along with other members of the department were dispatched to the intersection of Greenwich and Chapmans Avenues for a report of a male slumped over a steering wheel of a silver car.

Warwick Fire were first to arrive on scene. When Officer Fontaine arrived, he observed the fire department personnel having to make a forced entry into the vehicle by breaking the driver’s side rear window. At that point the driver and sole occupant, later identified as Eric Belisle, 37, of 68 Mettatuxet Road in Narragansett, took his foot off the brake and the car traveled further down Greenwich Avenue, almost to the intersection of East Avenue and nearly striking a firefighter.

After yelling at Belisle, he eventually brought the vehicle to a stop. He then stepped from the vehicle and became argumentative and aggressive, according to the report. Belisle had clenched fists and began to yell at the firefighters while aggressively getting closer to the rescue workers before being physically restrained by officers and firefighters.

Belisle was then escorted to the rear of a rescue and attended to by medical personnel. Upon speaking with the suspect, Officer Fontaine observed signs of intoxication and impairment. When asked if he had anything to drink that evening, Belisle indicated that he had six Blue Moon beers. He then consented to take a series of standardized sobriety tests.

Based upon the officer’s interactions with Belisle, and his performance during the tests, it was determined that he was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters while his car was towed from the scene.

At the station, Belisle refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test. He was charged with one count of driving under the influence, second offense, and refusal to submit to a chemical test, second violation in five years. He was also charged with one count of driving on a suspended license, first offense.


Officer Gregory Accinno was dispatched to a Andrew Comstock Road residence on July 1 at approximately 6:05 a.m. for a report of malicious damage to a vehicle.

According to his report, the officer met with the complainant, who advised that his vehicle, and his son’s, had been vandalized the prior evening. The man explained that the side passenger slide cargo door of his truck had been broken and dented, and a small glass vase and broken beer bottles were found near the side. He estimated the damage at $1,500. The vehicle’s side rear window had also been smashed.

The son’s car also had its side mirror broken and smashed. There was also glass around the cars as if bottles had been thrown at both vehicles. The victim indicated that he wished to pursue charges if a suspect was found.


On June 29 at approximately 4 p.m., Officer Rose Michael was dispatched to Rocky Point Park for a report of a larceny.

There, the officer spoke with the reporting party who stated at approximately 3:20 p.m., he and his friend left their bicycles unattended in the bushes by the back side of the former Skyliner ride at the park. When they returned to retrieve them they found one bicycle had been moved and the other was missing.

The bicycle was described as a black Trek Mountain 19.5 inch bike with two cup holders, one black and the other silver. The bicycle has gray letters and a black saddle pouch. A report was taken, and there are currently no suspects or witnesses.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment