Hawks handle Rebels for 1-0 start to league play


Bishop Hendricken defeated South Kingstown by a convincing score of 36-14 Friday night in its first division game of the season at Curtis Corner Middle School in South Kingstown.

The reigning Division I state champions didn’t miss a beat, thanks in large part to quarterback Patrick Gill and running back Remington Blue. Gill passed for 94 yards in the victory, throwing for two touchdowns and rushing for one. Blue dominated the South Kingstown defense on the ground, compiling 142 rushing yards, and accounting for three of Hendricken’s touchdowns, two rushing and one receiving.

After a slow start to the game, Hendricken’s offense was finally able to break through with 5:58 remaining in the second quarter, when Gill found Blue for a 33-yard touchdown pass, putting the Hawks up 7-0.

Hendricken took a 7-0 lead into the half, as the Hawks’ defense was dominant in the first half, keeping the Rebels off of the scoreboard.

“The defense played great, it was kind of one of those bend but don’t break type of things,” Hendricken head coach Keith Croft said. “We gave up some yards, but we didn’t give up any big plays. They had a few nice runs, but for the most part, the defense made tackles.”

Just over a minute into the second half, Blue broke free for a 35-yard touchdown run to put Hendricken up 14-0.

Although the Hawks seemed to have everything under control, South Kingstown had other plans, taking the ensuing kickoff the distance for a touchdown, to cut the deficit to 14-7, making it a one-possession game once again.

However, Hendricken’s offense was just too much for South Kingstown to handle. With 5:23 remaining in the third quarter, Gill found Michael Scarcella for a 22-yard touchdown pass. Running back Power Kanga then found the end zone for the two-point conversion to put the Hawks up 22-7.

After South Kingstown answered in the last minute of the third quarter, Hendricken officially put the game out of reach in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Rebels 14-0 in the final period.

Gill broke off a 36-yard run for a touchdown on the Hawks’ first possession of the fourth quarter, before Blue burned the South Kingstown defense for a 59-yard touchdown run to give the Hawks a comfortable 36-14 lead.

“We want to be a second half team,” Croft said. “Sometimes it takes a little while to get comfortable in the way that the game’s playing and adjusting to their speed and tempo. We knew that if we stayed patient and our offensive line blocked, that we have some backs that would eventually find holes.”

With the win, the Hawks are now 2-0 overall and 1-0 in Division I play. Hendricken will look to remain unbeaten as it hosts 0-2 East Providence this Friday at 7 p.m.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment