Hawks, Rams split first 2 games of championship series


The Bishop Hendricken Hawks and the La Salle Academy Rams split the first two games of the D-I Boys Hockey title series, setting up a Monday night showdown to determine the champion.

The rubber match took place on Monday night at Brown University. The results of that game were unavailable at press time.

La Salle is the 1 seed with a league record of 14-1 while Hendricken is the 2 seed at 11-4.

The Hawks won Game 1 by a score of 3-1 on Friday night. Hendricken junior forward Dylan Webber scored the first goal of the game at 7:38 of the first period after an assist from freshman Drew Haxton.

At 2:28 of the second period, La Salle went on a power play and sophomore Brayden Edwards lit the lamp, tying the game at 1.

The teams went into the second intermission deadlocked at 1.

Hendricken had a man advantage five minutes into the third session and junior forward Jack Dean put the biscuit in the basket for an unassisted tally at 10:44 and gave the Hawks a 2-1 edge.

In the final minutes, La Salle pulled its goalie to try to tie the game, but it backfired when Hendricken senior Benjamin DeFelice scored an empty-net goal with 10 seconds remaining in the contest and made it 3-1.

Hendricken junior goaltender Patrick Gribbin was a stalwart in net in Game 1 where he made 24 saves, including a pair of sensational stops during the final three minutes of the opening period.

The Hawks were blown out in Game 2 by a score of 7-2. La Salle’s Edwards scored a hat trick in that game.

Five of La Salle’s seven goals came on the power play.

Hendricken got goals from juniors Shawn Catala and Peter Krekorian. Aside from the three scores from Edwards, La Salle got two goals from sophomore star Zenas Kennedy and one each from John Devine and Robert Doorley.

Gribbin and Spencer each had 28 saves each in that one. 


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment