Police Log



Officer Eric Lima was dispatched to the area of the Red Robin parking lot at the Warwick Mall at 400 Bald Hill Road at approximately 4:06 p.m. on April 19 for the report of a larceny. Upon arrival, Lima met with the victim, who said he placed his cell phone down while he was in the Warwick Mall sometime between 3 p.m. and 3:40 p.m., at which time it had been stolen by an unknown party. The man described the phone as a black iPhone 5 with a Mophie charger, valued at $690. Using a tracking application on his wife’s phone, the man said his phone was possibly at an address in Coventry. Based on the provided address, Lima said he had Dispatch contact the Coventry Police Department, which checked the address in Coventry but were unable to locate the man’s phone.


Officer Britton Kelly was dispatched to 39 Vega Drive at approximately 2:39 p.m. on April 23 for a larceny report. Upon arrival, Kelly met with the victim, who said his truck was parked in front of his house with a full tank of the gas the night before, and when he left that morning on his way to Boston, his gas light came on. He said sometime in the night someone stole his gas, and that three to four months ago three five-gallon gas cans were stolen from his shed. Kelly said the man advised that his neighbor told him sometime over the winter, someone had emptied a five-gallon gas container that he had in his own shed. The man told Kelly he thought the incident may have happened around the time his five-gallon gas containers were stolen. No suspects.


Officer Nicholas Reay was on routine patrol on Warwick Avenue in the area of Partition Street at approximately at 9:31 p.m. on April 20 when he observed a vehicle traveling at 22 mph in a posted 35 mph zone, with other vehicles passing it in the right lane. Reay said he observed the vehicle swerve into the right lane, nearly striking another car before obstructing traffic at a red light at the intersection of Squantum Drive, then continued southbound, crossing over the double yellow line into oncoming traffic, forcing vehicles heading northbound to swerve out of the way to avoid a collision. After conducting a traffic stop in the parking lot of Walgreens on Warwick Avenue, Reay said he met with the driver, who said he was coming from his mother’s house in Providence. Reay said the man’s eyes were red, bloodshot and watery, his speech was slurred and he could detect the odor of alcohol emanating from his breath. When asked if he had consumed any alcoholic beverages that evening, the man said he was coming from an Easter party, where he had several beers and wine. When the man exited his vehicle, Reay said he stumbled and nearly fell over. The man submitted to field sobriety tests, but Reay had to stop the test for the man’s safety when he couldn’t maintain his balance and began falling over.

Angel Jorge, 57, of 353 West Shore Road in Warwick, was arrested and transported to Kent Hospital, where Reay continued the DUI investigation, as Jorge had been deemed unfit to operate a motor vehicle due to the intoxicating effects of liquor and/or drugs, based on his driving and poor performance on the field sobriety tests. While at the hospital, Jorge was allowed a confidential phone call but refused to submit to a chemical test. Jorge was issued a summons to appear in Third District Court for DUI-blood alcohol content unknown. He was also issued violations for refusal to submit to a chemical test, laned roadway violations and stopping on a traveled portion of open highway. Reay said Jorge was then released into the care and custody of the hospital staff. His vehicle was towed from the scene.


Officer Christian Vargas was on routine patrol on Post Road approaching the intersection with George Street at approximately 9:08 p.m. on April 20 when he observed a pickup truck travel from Fairfax onto Post Road heading northbound in the southbound lanes before it turned onto George Street at what appeared to be an excessively high rate of speed. When turning onto George Street in an attempt to following the vehicle, Vargas said the vehicle accelerated to a higher rate of speed, which he clocked at 55 mph. Vargas said he observed the vehicle swerve and fail to stop at a posted stop sign at the intersection of George and Pawtuxet, where it turned left onto Pawtuxet and continued at a high rate of speed before turning onto Sumner and into the driveway at 243 Sumner Ave. After pulling in behind the vehicle, Vargas said he observed the driver had extremely bloodshot eyes and was drooling. He also appeared to have vomited on himself. As he spoke with the driver, Vargas said his slurred and mumbled speech was difficult to understand and he seemed easily confused by simple commands. Vargas said he asked the man to get out of the truck and either sit on the bumper or lean against it, as he was unsteady on his feet, but he said the man instead placed his hands on the tail gate and put his back to the officer, spreading his legs assuming a search position, although he was not instructed to do so. Vargas said when the man could not produce his license, it was recovered during a check of the glove box. Vargas said he also observed vomit on the dashboard of the truck. Vargas said the driver admitted to “driving like an ass,” but said he was now home and that he came from a friend’s house in Oakland Beach. He refused to answer any additional questions but did indicate that he drank earlier. While performing field sobriety tests, Vargas said the man began questioning the instructions and refused to follow them. After informing him the action was necessary to assess his ability to operate a vehicle safely, Vargas said the man continued to say he did not understand why. Vargas said he informed the man if he did not cooperate, it would be noted as his refusal to submit to field sobriety tests. He said the man claimed he wasn’t refusing anything but did not understand the instructions. Vargas said the man asked him to go home because he was in his driveway and asked why he was doing this to him.

Frankie Gautier, 30, of 243 Sumner Ave. in Warwick, was placed in handcuffs and informed he was under arrest for suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Vargas said Gautier refused to answer any questions related to the amount of alcohol he had consumed that evening. Vargas said Gautier was transported to Kent Hospital, where he was read his rights, but he was dismissive while this was going on and said he didn’t care what the officer said and that he wasn’t going to listen and began providing a history of his life. Gautier refused to make a phone call and would not submit to a chemical test.

Although a nurse said Gautier’s vitals would need to be obtained before he left, informing him that information would not be provided to police, Gautier still refused to submit to the screening. He also refused to allow a doctor to obtain his heart rate, and due to hospital protocol on discharge, Vargas said the hospital would not release him, as he had already been checked in. Gautier was charged with DUI-blood alcohol content unknown, refusal to submit to a chemical test and reckless driving. All were first offenses. While at the hospital waiting for the doctor to respond, Vargas said Gautier continued to refuse to answer his questions about how much alcohol he consumed, but in answering the doctor’s question, he said he had six Heineken Lights. Gautier was later processed and summonsed from Warwick Police headquarters with a Third District Court date.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment