Police Log



A Warwick man told police he borrowed his son-in-law’s Ford Focus on July 26 and parked it on the grass across from the Top of the Bay restaurant in Oakland Beach around 9:30 p.m., locked it and left the keys on top of the driver’s side tire and then went out on a friend’s boat for the night. He said he returned around 3 a.m. and noticed that the car was missing. Officer Matthew Smith said he had already checked and learned it had not been towed. Smith said he checked the area but did not find the car. He said he also checked with the son-in-law and he did not have the car and did want to file a complaint. No suspects or witnesses.


A West Warwick woman told police she returned to the Honey Dew Donut shop on Veterans Memorial Drive on July 28 when she realized she didn’t have her wallet with her. She said there was no sign of the wallet when she returned and she assumed it was stolen. She said she canceled all her cards but her license and health cards and $64 in cash were gone. No suspects or witnesses.

A North Scituate woman told police she was parked in the lot at Iggy’s in Oakland Beach on July 24 and left her iPhone on the roof of her car the night before and when she returned it was gone. She said it was brand new and was worth $400. He said she remotely locked the phone and posted a screen with her contact information on it. The case was forwarded to detectives.


Officer Christopher Lo reported speaking with a woman on Leland Avenue who told him she got a call from an individual who identified himself as Steven Fox offering her a settlement. He told her he was calling on behalf of the “United States Government Assistance Program” and that she won a grant for $7,000. He then told her to go to CVS and purchase a Green Dot Card in order to “initiate the transfer of funds.” She said the caller stayed on the phone with her instructing her as she went through the process of buying the card for $264 and gave her a tracking and confirmation number through Western Union. She said that once she completed all of that, he told her she would not be able to receive the $7,000. She told Lo she then asked them to refund the $264 and they said, “[Expletive] off!” and hung up the phone. Lo said he managed to get in touch with the caller and found the answering party extremely “uncooperative.”


Loss prevention at the Wal-Mart store on Post Road told police they were holding an employee who had used her job to load $86.01 in gift cards from customers and use them for herself. They said she also gave unauthorized discounts to family and friends worth $128.31, and outright gave people 34 items worth $952.46. They explained to Officer William DiGiulio that she would “load” a gift card at the register for a customer and keep the loaded card for her own use and give the customer another card that wasn’t “loaded.” M. Young, 18, of 56 Lenox Ave. in Providence, was charged with embezzlement and later released with a summons.


A loss prevention agent at Macy’s in the Warwick Mall told Officer Michelle Caron she got a call from the Sunglass Hut in Macy’s that a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses were missing from their display and she checked the video surveillance and saw the woman who took them. She said she then looked through the camera at the rest of the store to see if the woman was still in the store and she found her on the second floor. She said the woman concealed a belt in her purse and was walking out of the store with a two-piece infant’s outfit she hadn’t paid for when she was stopped. The glasses were worth $279.95, the belt cost $38 and the baby outfit was worth $14.97. Dawn Desilets, 44, of 119 Rhodes Ave. in Woonsocket was later released with a summons.

Officer Brian Murray reported he was one of several officers sent to the area of the Wal-Mart store on Bald Hill Road on July 28 for a shoplifting in progress and then heard that the suspect had been stopped on East Avenue. Murray said he responded to the scene and took custody of a Woonsocket woman who was identified as the woman who left the store with $363.79 worth of goods she didn’t pay for. Tammy Dureault, 44, of 53 Transit St., was charged with felony shoplifting and of being a habitual offender based on a number of prior convictions. She was held for the bail commissioner.

A Pawtucket woman was charged with shoplifting at Ocean State Job Lot on Warwick Avenue on July 28. An employee there told police she selected and concealed an assortment of health and beauty products and walked out of the store without paying for the goods. She was stopped outside and $93.29 worth of goods were recovered. Kimberly Ann Carroll, 45, of 200 High St. was charged with being a habitual offender and held for arraignment in District Court.

Raquel M. Ortiz, 47, of 113 Overland Ave. in Cranston was charged with shoplifting at Macy’s in the Warwick Mall on July 28 after loss prevention said she left the store with $154.17 worth of clothing she didn’t pay for. She was later released with a summons.

Shealyn Molina, 21, of 960 Smithfield Ave. in Lincoln was charged with shoplifting at Macy’s on July 27. Officer Darren Parrillo said Warwick police gathered the particulars of the incident at Macy’s as police from surrounding areas were looking for Molina’s car. He said they eventually heard that Lincoln had the woman in custody. Loss prevention told Parrillo she left the store with $206.98 worth of clothes she didn’t pay for. They said they confronted her outside and got the stuff back but the woman pushed them as she made her escape. Molina was transported back to Warwick where she was charged with assault and shoplifting and held for the bail commissioner. Parrillo said he also learned that North Attleboro police had an outstanding warrant for her for an assault and battery in their town.


Officer Christopher Lo reported stopping a car for going too fast and too erratically on West Shore Road around 8:50 p.m. on July 18. He said he pulled it over after it ran a stop sign at Sefton and Hillcrest Avenues. He said there was a 12-pack of Coors light in the car, along with two open cans. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and swayed even as he was seated. He said he smelled of alcohol. Lo said the man told him he was having a difficult time that day but said that was no excuse. He said he gave the man a field sobriety test and the man failed it. He said the man did agree to a portable breath test and blew a .206 blood alcohol content. He was taken to headquarters where he refused to take another breath test. Paul J. Carsone, 47, of 41 North Shore St. in Warwick was charged with DUI, refusal and running a stop sign.

Officer James Wenneman reported he went to an accident involving a 1997 Ford Econoline and another vehicle at Warwick Avenue and Pilgrim Parkway around 11 p.m. on July 23. He said the driver of the Econoline admitted he had been drinking and commented that, “He was ‘screwed.’” He said the driver agreed to a field sobriety test that he refused to continue after he failed the nystagmus portion and was swaying back and forth all the time he was standing. He was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. Peter C. Lorden, 43, of 262 Ardway Ave. in Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Matthew Smith reported a vehicle stop on Jefferson Boulevard around 8 p.m. on July 23. A woman had been stopped for driving at 87 miles per hour on Jefferson and was seen moving from lane to lane as it passed other vehicles. He said she failed the field sobriety test and blew a .113 blood alcohol content on the portable breath test. She also blew a .09 and a .089 on the breath test at headquarters. Patricia Roberto Martin, 60, of 336 Potters Ave. in Warwick was charged with being under the influence of drugs or alcohol and speeding and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment