Police Log



A Warwick woman told police she was at Stephen’s Hair Salon on Soule Street between 5:20 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Aug. 13. While she was getting her hair done, someone told her that the driver’s side window on her car had been smashed. She said a Hewlett-Packard laptop worth $2,000 was missing. No suspects or witnesses.

A guest at the Courtyard by Marriott on Jefferson Boulevard told police he came out to his car around 8:10 the morning of Aug. 21 and found the rear passenger window smashed and his laptop missing. He said it was worth $500. No witnesses.

A Coventry man told police he was watching a movie at the Showcase Cinema at Warwick Mall between 12 and 2:15 p.m. on Aug. 25 when someone entered his unlocked pickup truck and took a Chromebook laptop worth $1,000 and Apple iBook worth $500. He said a pair of Oakley sunglasses worth $100 was also taken. No witnesses.


A Coventry woman told police she was in the bathroom at the JC Penney store in Warwick Mall on Aug. 19 and left her mother’s Galaxy S3 phone there. She said she realized it was gone and went back but the cell phone was not there. She said two women who went into the rest room after her were seen leaving the mall in a Dodge minivan. Officer Stephen Major said he contacted the phone associated with the registration the victim supplied and left a message asking them to call him.

On Aug. 14 another customer at JC Penney reported that her wallet was taken from her purse in her parked car while she was shopping in the store. She said about 10 debit and credit cards and her driver’s license were in the wallet. She reported that her Macy’s card had an unauthorized $100 charge; the Santander Bank debit card was hit for $250; Kohl’s for $250; and a fraudulent charge to American Express for $250 and $20 in currency. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Gregory Johnson reported he was dispatched to Wilde’s Corner around 3:05 p.m. on Aug. 20 for an accident. The woman accused of rear-ending the Hyundai Santa Fe SUV in front of her told Johnson the car rolled back into her Buick Enclave SUV. Johnson said the traffic was heavy and the damage was slight, so he had both vehicles pull into the Benny’s parking lot. Johnson said the driver of the Buick seemed to be having trouble comprehending his instructions. He said she smelled moderately of alcohol but denied she had been drinking, even as she was unsteady on her feet. He said he also saw her put a handful of Altoids in her mouth. He said the “overpowering mint odor” failed to eliminate the smell of alcohol. He said she agreed to a field sobriety test and she failed the test. He said she was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving and taken to headquarters, where she refused a breath test. Johnson said they found four box containers for wine in the car. He said one was empty, one was partially consumed and two were full. Nancy H. Hurd, 55, of 236 Channel View, Warwick, was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Keri-Ann Leighton reported she clocked a car doing 53 miles per hour on Post Road around 12:25 a.m. on Aug. 21. She said she followed the car down Atlantic Avenue and pulled the car over near 665 Warwick Avenue. He said the man smelled of alcohol and claimed he was speeding because someone was following him, more particularly, his ex-girlfriend. Leighton said she didn’t see any other car following the suspect. She also said he smelled of alcohol and wanted to know why she was not doing anything to get the person who was following him. She said he agreed to a field sobriety test and he failed it. Vito A. Tedesco, 30, of 30 Maribeth Dr., Johnston, was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. He was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Sgt. Scott Robillard reported a two-car accident near Strawberryfield Road around 11:45 p.m. on Aug. 22. He said dispatch advised him that one of the drivers was possibly drunk. He said that driver was “frantically” drinking from a water bottle and blaming the accident on a new engine and new clutch in his Mini Cooper that were not operating correctly. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and looked intoxicated. He said the driver agreed to a field sobriety test, which he failed, and complained at one point that “I could not do this test sober.” Kenneth J. Pierce, 23, of 50 Winter St., Warwick, was charged with DUI, second offense, after he blew a .176 and a .186 blood alcohol content on the breath test. He was taken to Kent Hospital for detox when they could not find a sober adult to take custody of him. He was also charged with leaving his lane of travel and having no proof of insurance.

Officer Matthew Moretti reported he was on patrol when a dispatch about a possible drunk driver on Post Road was broadcast. He said he took down the number and pulled into the parking lot of New England Tech and saw the car with that plate in the parking lot. He said he saw the driver dumping some liquid from a large white and red thermos. He said the remaining liquid in the thermos later tested positive for alcohol but, for the moment, he was watching the driver as she swayed from side to side. He said she was disheveled and soiled and appeared to be drunk. She told him she was not sure what happened but that she did hit a curb and her tire fell off. He said she told him she was diabetic and she was hungry and looking for Gregg’s restaurant because she hadn’t eaten all day. He called Warwick Rescue when he learned that the car hit a hydrant near the Airport Plaza and knocked it from its base. He said he gave the woman a field sobriety test that he stopped for fear of her falling and hurting herself. He said Bernadette Bessette, 58, of 281 Pine St., Warwick, blew a .159 and a .149 blood alcohol content on the breath test. She was charged with DUI, leaving her lane of travel (for hitting the curb) and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Evan Brent reported he was on patrol on West Shore Road when he saw car doing 47 miles per hour in a 25 mile per hour zone. He said he followed the car and saw it cross the double yellow lines and then over the fog line before he pulled it over at Glenwood Drive. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated. He said he gave her a field sobriety test and she failed it. He said he asked her where she was coming from and she said she was at a bachelorette party and then went clubbing afterwards. She said she was on her way home to Ashland, Mass. Brent said he asked her how she ended up in Warwick and she said she was following her GPS system on her phone. Rebekah A. Carter, 37, of 135 America Blvd., Ashland, refused a breath test at headquarters. She was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment