Police Log




A driver who recently told officers that “the Patron just got to me tonight” was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.

On March 4 at approximately 3:20 a.m., Officer Jeremy Smith was dispatched to the entrance of the airport on Post Road for a report of an erratic operator who had heavy front-end damage to their vehicle. It was reported that the vehicle was now at rest at the airport entrance facing the wrong way on a one-way road with the operator passed out at the wheel.

Officer Smith attempted to make contact with the driver, later identified as Manne Barbosa, 22, of 161 Harold Street, Apt. 3 in Providence, when he arrived at the scene. Barbosa was found passed out at the wheel in the reclined position, with his vehicle still running and the car in drive. Barbosa had one foot on the brake and the other on the gas, which was all the way to the floor, causing the engine to rev.

The officer opened the driver’s door and attempted to put the car into park, at which time Barbosa woke up and was extremely startled and confused, according to the report. He let his foot off the brake, and Officer Smith then immediately put his foot on the brake, was then able to place the car in park and removed the keys from the ignition.

Barbosa still appeared extremely confused, and the officer detected a strong odor emanating from the driver’s breath. Barbosa was mumbling and inaudible, not speaking in complete sentences and could barely keep his eyes open.

Officer Smith asked Barbosa to exit the vehicle and take a series of field sobriety tests, replying, “Sure, I guess.” During the tests, Barbosa was physically unable to open his eyes and stated that officers “did not need to give him a test to figure out that he had too much to drink,” according to the narrative.

Based on the officers’ experience and training, it was determined that Barbosa was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely, and he was taken into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was transported to police headquarters while his car was towed.

It appeared that the damage to the vehicle came from the car hitting medians and other items between Centerville Road and its final resting place.

At the station, Barbosa agreed to take a breathalyzer test, which provided readings of .144 and .143 as a blood alcohol content. He was issued a court summons for driving under the influence first offense, no insurance, operating an unregistered vehicle, and laned roadway violations. He was later released to his wife.


On March 5 just after noon, a victim met with Officer Tammy Mello at Warwick Police Department headquarters regarding a larceny of a 14 karat gold necklace.

The woman stated that on March 4 she went to the Sun Center on Warwick Avenue around 3:47 p.m. She recalled taking the necklace off and hanging it on a clothing hook in the tanning room. Later that evening she realized she forgot to take her necklace when she left the tanning center.

When she checked with the shop, she was informed that there was no necklace turned in and that only two other individuals used the same room after she left. The chain was described as a quarter inch wide with a lobster claw clasp, and the owner advised she would provide photographs of the necklace. The report was then forwarded to detectives.


Officer Jamey Petit and other members of the department were dispatched to East Avenue on February 28 around 2:12 a.m. for a service call about an assault in progress. While en route, dispatch advised that the reporting party was bleeding from his head and was waiting outside the residence and that fire and rescue were also being dispatched.

At the residence Officer Petit met with the complainant, who was holding a t-shirt on his head behind his right ear, in the front yard. The man showed the officer the wound, which appeared to be a minor abrasion with a small amount of blood. Officers noted that he appeared to have been consuming alcohol prior to their arrival and had a strong odor of alcoholic beverages emanating from him as he spoke.

When asked, the man stated that a man from an upstairs apartment had struck him in the head with a snowbrush. He was then transported to Kent Hospital for treatment.

Officers met with the man from the upstairs apartment, who appeared “sleepy and calm.” He stated the downstairs resident was drunk earlier and yelling loudly, disturbing the upstairs resident and his family. The upstairs resident had a verbal altercation with the man around 2 a.m., according to the report, and then he went to bed.

There was no blood on the man from the upper apartment, nor was any found on the stairway or premises. There was no snowbrush found.

Officers then visited Kent Hospital to speak with the complainant, who was about to be released. He did not wish to make a complaint or fill out a statement but allowed photographs of his injury to be taken. He admitted to being loud.

There were no other witnesses to the incident, and the stairwell where the event allegedly took place was extremely dark and “fraught with multiple hazards.” The report notes that the man may have had a fall resulting in the head abrasion. Both men were separately advised to avoid each other and to notify the police of any future disturbances, and neither wished to file a complaint.


At approximately 6 a.m. on March 2, Officer Timothy Lipka responded to a Wellspring Drive residence for a report of damage to property.

Upon arrival he met with the complainant, who advised that her car had been parked in her driveway facing the house and that her rear window had been smashed out. The inside of the vehicle was checked and there were no projectiles seen. The woman stated that she had no idea who would have damaged the car.

The homeowner did have a surveillance system, but that was not operational at the time, and indicated that she wished to press charges if a suspect was found.


Officer John Zaborski was dispatched to the Bald Hill Road Kohl’s on March 2 around 4 p.m. for a report of malicious damage.

At the scene he spoke with the reporting party, who advised that she had arrived at the store around 2 p.m. and left at approximately 3:21. When she returned to her vehicle, she observed that her rear window had been smashed out. The woman said she had no valuables in the car at the time, and nothing seemed to be out of place or missing.

The victim advised that she had no outstanding issues, or any other contacts or road rage incidents prior to the vandalism, and did not witness anyone near her vehicle when she arrived. The officer then spoke with Kohl’s security, who stated that at that time of the day there isn’t anything visible on security cameras due to the angle of the sun. A report was taken of the incident.


On February 27 around 9:17 p.m., Officer Adam Arico was dispatched to the Post Road Radisson Hotel for a reported larceny of tires from a vehicle.

The reporting party informed Officer Arico that on February 24, she had parked her car in the long-term parking lot located at the rear of the hotel. She then took a shuttle to the airport for a Florida vacation. When she returned around 9 p.m. on February 27, she found her car missing all four tires and rims, valued at $4,000.

Photos were taken of the car, and security advised that they did not have video footage of the area where the car was parked. There are currently no suspects, and the report was forwarded to detectives for review.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment