Police Log


On June 11 at approximately 10:30 p.m., Beverly Higgins, 59, of 201 Riverside Avenue in Warwick, was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.
According to Officer Ali Jaafar’s report, he was dispatched to the area of Hans Palace on West Shore Road that evening for a report of a possible impaired driver traveling east in a black Mitsubishi. The officer began to head in that direction, and eventually observed the suspected vehicle turning right onto Warwick Neck Avenue without using a turn signal. A traffic stop was then initiated in the vicinity of Warwick Neck and Samuel Gorton Avenue.
There contact was made with Higgins, who appeared to show signs of intoxication. She was extremely talkative, stating, “Are you kidding me? Are you friggin’ kidding me?” about 10 to 15 times to Officer Jaafar. She informed the officer that she had been at the beach for five hours that day, and that she might have had a couple of beers. The timeline she provided then became confusing as she then stated she was coming from a bar she works at.
Later she said that she was coming from Han Palace after picking up food, but then she showed a 7-Eleven bag and stated she stopped to get paper towels. Higgins had great difficulty locating her license, while Officer Jaafar was able to see it in plain view on her passenger seat.
After being asked to exit her vehicle several times, Higgins finally consented and agreed to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests. As a result of those tests, and based on the officer’s training and experience, Higgins was deemed unfit to safely operate a motor vehicle. She was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters, where she refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test.
Higgins was charged with driving under the influence, first offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, second violation in five years, and was also cited for not using a turn signal. She was later picked up by a sober adult.


Officer Alfred Silveira was traveling west on West Shore Road on June 14 around 1:13 a.m. when he observed about five vehicles off to the side of the road with their lights on. Officer Silveira had previously dispersed approximately five to seven vehicles from Conimicut Point Beach moments earlier, and noted that the stopped vehicles were the same. He signaled his high beams to have the cars continue moving along.
As the vehicles proceeded back on the roadway and continued west, he observed that a gold Volkswagen was operating with no lights on. A traffic stop was then conducted in the area of Stokes Street. As the officer put his cruiser into park, the driver’s side door began to open, and Officer Silveira twice ordered the male, later identified as Elvis Rosario, 20, of 367 Elm Street in Woonsocket, to remain in the vehicle.
After the officer approached the Volkswagen, Rosario provided him with his license but not his registration or insurance. Background checks revealed that Rosario had an active Sixth District Court bench warrant for driving under the influence, first offense, and that his license and registration was suspended. Other officers then arrived on scene to provide backup.
Rosario was asked to step from his vehicle and place his hands behind his back. As handcuffs were about to be placed on him, Rosario attempted to run away. After a brief struggle the suspect was brought to the ground and detained, while Officer Silveira suffered minor scrapes on his elbow, hand, and knees.
After being transported to police headquarters, Rosario was charged with resisting legal or illegal arrest, driving with a suspended license and registration, driving without insurance and failure to use headlights. His vehicle was towed, and Rosario was later transported to the ACI.

Around 6 a.m. on June 14, Officer Damian Andrews responded to a Harvest Road residence for a report of a theft from a motor vehicle. At the scene he met with the victim, who stated that she had parked two of her vehicles, which were unlocked, in her driveway around 8:30 the night before. When she returned the next morning she noticed the cars were ransacked. A total of three dollars was taken from each of the vehicles. There are currently no suspects or witnesses.


While on patrol on June 14 at approximately 7:54 p.m. Officer Walter Larson, along with other members of the department, were dispatched to the Sunglass Hut kiosk inside the Bald Hill Road Macy’s for a report of a shoplifting in progress.
There, an associate of the business reported that a fair skinned male with blonde hair and a slender build entered the store through the east entrance wearing chino pants, a red polo shirt, a hat and a long black coat. The man walked up to the Sunglass Hut and grabbed four pairs of Oakley sunglasses, valued at $250 each. He then exited the store through the same door heading towards Lambert Lind Highway without paying. A check of the area proved negative.
The incident, from the suspect entering to exiting, lasted about 20 seconds. At no point did the suspect raise his head and there were no clear shots of his face on the store’s video surveillance. There are currently no suspects.

Officers were dispatched to Ray’s Bait and Tackle on Arnold’s Neck Drive on June 16 after being informed that there was a man in a running vehicle that was slumped over the steering wheel and would not wake up.
According to Officer David Boardman’s report, at the scene officers found the male slouched over the wheel, and that the car’s break lights were on and the car was running and in drive. Officer Boardman immediately shut off the car and placed it in park. He than woke the operator, identified as Dante Perez, 29, of 54 New Lexington Road in North Kingstown.
After waking up, Perez was extremely confused and thought the car was still running. He tried to put the car in drive and drive off. He was then taken out of the vehicle and became highly erratic. He was very confused about his whereabouts and said that he had just pulled over. As he spoke, officers observed that his speech was slurred, and that he was drooling while foaming at the mouth. He was also falling in and out of consciousness.
Perez was searched and $8,896 in cash was found in his cargo shorts. He said he had smoked marijuana earlier in the day, that he had snorted Xanax earlier in the day and that he was taking his prescribed Methadone medication although he may have upped the dose. He was placed in a police cruiser where he became very unhappy and was crying.
A field sobriety test was eventually conducted. Based upon his performance and the observation of officers, it was determined that Perez was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was handcuffed and transported to Kent Hospital.
A search of his vehicle produced another large amount of cash, a small baggie containing a white powdery substance and a small cut off straw, as well as marijuana.
At the hospital, Perez refused a chemical test. When he was discharged, he was transported to police headquarters where was charged with driving under the influence first offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, and possession of one ounce or less of marijuana with a June 30 court date. He was later released to a sober adult.


1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

If Elvis had left (the building) the first time he was told to, he would have avoided arrest (for the moment, at least); now the wizard has to sit in intake while waiting to answer for the old charge plus the new ones...another member of the Woonsocket Brain Trust infiltrating Warwick.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017