Police Log - Stolen 43-inch TV



On Dec. 4 at approximately 9:13 p.m. Officers Tyler Stone and Ali Jaafar responded to a report of an intoxicated driver involved in an accident in the area of 1783 Elmwood Ave.

Upon arrival, the Officers saw a Nissan Altima hanging off the wall that divides the sidewalk from the parking lot of D&H Autobody. The car was still running and fumes were coming from the exhaust.

The driver, still in the driver’s seat, was identified as Diane Granja, 47, of 507 Grand Ave. in Pawtucket. After instructing her to turn off the car, Officer Stone observed Granja to have bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and a strong odor of alcohol coming from her mouth. Granja told the Officers that she had a few beers at an earlier birthday party.

Granja told the Officers that she had pulled into the parking lot to throw up, and there was a large pile of blue colored vomit on the ground a few feet behind the car. She was not able to say how the car ended up hanging off the wall, but she did say she had parked in the parking lot to throw up.

During the field sobriety tests, almost every clue indicating impairment was shown during the eye test and walk and turn test, and Granja was unable to do the one leg stand.

Granja was placed under arrest for DUI and brought back to police headquarters. The vehicle and the wall had minimal damage and the car was towed from the scene.

At the station, Granja refused to take a breathalyzer test around 10:10 p.m.

Granja was issued citations for DUI B.A.C. Unknown and Refusal to Submit to a Chemical Test with a summons to appear at District Court. She was then released to a sober adult.


On Dec. 3 at approximately 11:20 a.m. Officer James Vible talked with the victim of a stolen tail gate, who came into police headquarters to report it.

The victim said that he had parked his Ford F250 pickup truck in the professional center at 215 Toll Gate Road on Dec. 2 around 8:30 a.m. When he came out around 9:30 a.m., the tail gate of his truck was missing. He said the tailgate was valued at $1,000 and he wished to press charges.

Officer Vible went to the parking lot and did not observe any security cameras at any of the surrounding buildings. There were no suspects and the time and the case was forwarded to detectives.


On Jan. 27 at approximately 6:06 p.m. Officer Anthony D’Abrosca responded to the report of a shoplifting in progress at the JC Penney on Bald Hill Rd. A car with the two subjects had left the building already, one in a Toyota Corolla and the other in another car.

Upon arrival, the asset protection employee told the Officer that she saw on the security camera two females selecting several makeup items from the Sephora department and concealing them in their purses. They then walked out of the exit without paying for the items.

The asset protection employee approached them and asked them to come back into the store, but they then got into separate cars and left the parking lot.

The total value of the merchandise taken by one subject as $289 and the value taken by the other was $132. JC Penney stated they would like to pursue charges. Surveillance footage was obtained and put into evidence.

After running a registration check on the Corolla, Mariel Colon Rodriguez, 33, of 916 Douglas Avenue Apt. #1 in Providence was positively identified as one of the subjects through her license photo and the surveillance footage. The other subject could not be identified because the registration for her car was not given at the scene.

After checking Facebook to confirm that Rodriguez was the subject, Detective Nadine Parmenter put out a warrant affidavit requesting that Rodriguez be charged with one count of misdemeanor shopping.

Later, on Feb. 8 around 6:30 p.m., Officer Brian Holleran was doing a routine patrol on Route 2 in Warwick when he saw a Honda Civic operating on the road without its lights on. He conducted a traffic stop and the operator of the vehicle was identified as Mariel Colon Rodriguez.

After learning of the active warrant for Shoplifting from Dispatch, Officer Holleran placed Rodriguez into handcuffs and transported to police headquarters.

She was then released on a District Court summons to appear on March 20 at 8:30 a.m. for Shoplifting and Operating M/V with suspended Registration.


On Feb. 2 at approximately 7:22 p.m. Officer Ali Jaafar responded to the T.J. Maxx/Homegoods store on Bald Hill Rd. for the report of a subject in custody by Loss Prevention for shoplifting.

Upon arrival, the Officer found Jose Villafane, 40, of 14 Benefit St. Apt. 1 in Pawtucket in custody for shoplifting different fragrance bottles totally valued at $126.95.

The loss prevention employee said he saw Villafane conceal the items and leave the store without paying. He then confronted Villafane outside the store and Villafane immediately admitted to shoplifting and was cooperative, giving the items back and waiting for police to arrive.

Villafane also had a warrant out of the East Providence police department for Willful Trespass. Officer Jaafar placed him in handcuffs and transported him to Warwick police headquarters.

He was also a probation violator. This was also a Shoplifting-Felony charge because he had at least two prior convictions for shoplifting. He was also charged with Habitual Offender-Shoplifting.

Villafane then waited to appear in front of the Bail Commissioner and would later be transferred to the A.C.I.


On Feb. 3 at approximately 4:59 p.m. Officers Thomas Paine and Walter Larson responded to the Walmart on Bald Hill Rd. for the report of a shoplifting.

The asset prevention employee said that she observed a female subject, later identified as Michaela Violet, 44, of 351 New London Ave. Apt. #30 in Warwick, conceal several makeup items in her purse and go to the self-checkout area. She paid for other items, but left the makeup items concealed in her purse.

Violet then left the store, at which point the employee detained her and brought her back to the office. The value of the stolen merchandise, which was recovered, was valued at $119.40.

Walmart wished to press charges. Violet was taken back to police headquarters where she was released on district court summons on one count of Misdemeanor Shoplifting.


On Feb. 6 at approximately 7:20 p.m. Officers Thomas Duncan and Quentin Tavares responded to the report of two females in custody for shoplifting at the Target at the Warwick Mall.

The loss prevention employee told the Officers that around an hour earlier she observed on security cameras two females selecting items including baby formula, children’s clothing, and shoes, which they concealed into a stroller one of them was pushing, a diaper bag, and a purse. The two females then went to self-checkout, where they paid for something else but did not pay for the concealed items.

They were then approached by loss prevention and taken back to the office. The females were identified as Yokamil Estrellaveloz, 22, from Bronx, NY and Jarleny Severino, 22, also from Bronx. The value of Severino’s items was $197.87 and the value for Estrellaveloz’s items was $171.82.

Target wished to press charges. The two females were taken back to police headquarters, where they were both charged with one count of Shoplifting and released.


On Feb. 8 at approximately 3:55 p.m. Officer Thomas Duncan responded to the Target at the Warwick Mall for a shoplifting that had occurred earlier in the day.

The asset protection employee told the Officer that at approximately 10:07 a.m. that day he learned from an employee that an unidentified male had exited the store with a television that was believed to be unpaid for.

Upon looking at video footage, he saw a male enter the store at 9:07 a.m. then abruptly return. The subject then returned at 10:02 a.m. and went to the television section, where he selected a forty three inch element television, valued at $269.99, and leave the store without paying.

Target wished to press charges. The loss prevention employee determined the vehicle that the subject got into by talking with mall security. The male got into a blue SUV and drove off alone. The license plate could not be determined.

A physical description of the subject was taken along with a written statement and a copy of the video surveillance footage. There was nothing further at the time.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment