Police Log



On May 2 at approximately 11:08 p.m. Officer Jason Brodeur responded to the report of a motor vehicle accident on John Street in the Oakland Beach area, where a a vehicle had hit three parked cars then fled the scene towards West Shore Road.

The officer found a black Jeep Cherokee with a piece of its front end dragging on the ground traveling on West Shore at a high speed. The officer followed the car and tried pulling it over in the area of the Warwick Police Station, but it swerved into the rear entrance of the station then back onto the road. The driver then pulled into the Mobile gas station and stopped the car.

The driver was identified as Dakota Cherms, 23, of 50 John St. in Warwick.

Cherms had blood shot and watery eyes and an odor of alcohol coming from his breath. He started swearing at the Officer and asking why he was being stopped. He also asked why he couldn’t just put gas in his car, though the gas station was closed at this time.

After Sergeant Nicholas Reay came to assist, Officer Brodeur asked Cherms if he would submit to field sobriety tests. Cherms shouted an obscenity at the officer and stood with clenched fists.

The officers then grabbed Cherms’ arms to put him in handcuffs, and Cherms attempted to pull away. They got him in custody and placed him in the police cruiser.

Cherms also was found to have 2.9 grams of marijuana in his car.

Cherms was brought to police headquarters, where he continued yelling obscenities at the officers and refused to take a B.A.C. test.

Cherms tried to walk out of the cell block area and continued to scream obscenities at the officers. He threw himself on the floor and rolled around, asking for a lawyer and for a phone call.

Cherms was charged with DUI, B.A.C. Unknown 2nd Offense, as well as Resisting Arrest, 1st Offense, and Refusal to Submit to a Chemical Test. He was also charged for Possession of Marijuana, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Unattended Vehicle, Leaving the Lane of Travel, Headlamps on Vehicles, and No Evidence of Insurance, 1st Offense.

He was held overnight and given a court date of May 11.


On May 3 at approximately 5:32 p.m. Officer Brian Fontaine, among other Warwick officers, responded to the report of a white Corvette hitting a parked car in the Airport Plaza parking lot on Post Road, where it was stuck in the other vehicle. The driver was walking around and acting erratic.

The driver was identified as David Cerra, 53, of 2113 Cranston St. in Cranston. The officer observed Cerra to have bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and a strong odor of alcohol coming from his breath.

Cerra agreed to submit to a series of field sobriety tests, all of which indicated that he was driving under the influence.

He was placed in custody and brought to police headquarters, where he agreed to submit to B.A.C. tests. He blew a .334 and a .344.

Cerra was charged with DUI of Liquor or Drugs, 1st Offense, .15 or Greater with a May 29 court date. He was transported to Kent Hospital for detox and evaluation due to his high B.A.C.


On May 3 at approximately 11:36 a.m. Officers Christian Vargas and Hovsep Sarkisian responded to the report of larceny and possible assault at the Wonderland Smoke Shop on East Ave. The reporting party said that a male had stolen something from her vehicle and fled the scene in his car.

The female victim said that the vehicle had headed southbound on Route 2, and Officer Vargas searched for the car, eventually finding it and identifying the driver as Taylor Hall, 27, of 3 Carlton Place in West Warwick.

Hall had a knife on his right hip, which the officer removed. He denied having stolen anything from the victim’s vehicle, saying that he had parked his car next to her and when he got out she accused him of stealing an item.

The female joined the scene of the stop and said that she caught Hall trying to steal her case of $45 worth of medical marijuana from the vehicle, which he gave back to her then drove away. He came back to offer her $50 not to call the police, which she had already done, and he drove away again.

Hall was placed under arrest and brought back to police headquarters, while his car, which had two bongs in it, was towed.

He was released on a court summons for Larceny Under $1500.


On May 4 at approximately 5:15 p.m. Officer Tyler Stone responded to the report of larceny from the Seasons Corner Market at the Shell Station on Elmwood Avenue.

The victim said he had $9,200 in a cash envelope, which he was bringing to Massachusetts to purchase a new car. He stopped at the gas station on the way from his girlfriend’s house in Warwick. While driving to Mass., he realized that that envelope was no longer in his car. He first went back to his girlfriend’s house, didn’t find the money, and then went to the gas station, where the clerk said that someone had returned an envelope.

However, the envelope had $6,700 in it, so $2,500 was missing.

The video surveillance footage showed that the victim had left the envelope on top of his car, and when he pulled into the gas station it flew off of the car.

A female who was pumping her car next to the victim waited for him to leave, then picked up the envelope. The grainy nature of the camera footage lacked details, such as what the female looked like or what her license plate number was. The female then brought the envelope back into the store. It is unknown whether or not the she moved the cash to her purse. She did not make any purchases and then left the store.

The report was forwarded to detectives. The video surveillance was taken into evidence and the victim said he wished to press charges if the female is found.


On May 5 at approximately 3:30 p.m. Officer Charles Austin responded to the report of larceny from a motor vehicle at a residence on Vermont Avenue.

The victim said his car’s passenger side window had been smashed and the dash cam camera was missing, which he valued at $20. There was no camera footage from the area and nothing was processed.


On May 6 at approximately 1:09 p.m. Officer Randy Bell met with a larceny victim at police headquarters who said she had left her laptop in a rental car at National Car Rental.

The victim said she had used a rented car, which she thought was a Toyota Corolla, and left her $1,300 laptop in it. She then went to work in Boston. The manager of the store had all of the vehicles rented out that day searched but the laptop was not found. The report was forwarded to detectives.


On May 2 at approximately 11:57 a.m. Officer Gregory Johnson responded to the report of shoplifting at the Walmart on Bald Hill Rd.

The asset protection associate said that a female, later identified as Doreen Calise, 46, of 21 Pawtuxet Terrace Apt. 2 in West Warwick, had tried taking a vacuum, valued at $48.34, without paying for it. She was apprehended.

The vacuum was returned for re-sale and Calise was transported to police headquarters, where she was released with a court summons on one count of Shoplifting – Misdemeanor.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment