Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


A Providence woman told police she was helping her mother with a yard sale on Blanchard Avenue on June 22 when somebody stole her phone. She told police she put her iPhone 5 down to help a customer and when she came back the phone was gone. The phone cost $599.99. No suspects or witnesses.

A Warwick woman told police her car was broken into while they were on the Rocky Point Walking Trail around 10:30 p.m. on June 28. The woman said she and her two friends returned to the car and found the front window smashed and her purse and wallet missing. She said about $100 worth of gift cards and her debit card, some clothes and cosmetics worth about $200 were gone. He female companion said her bag, with about $125 in currency and her credit and debit cards, a blank check and two prescriptions were gone. Their male friend said his $200 cell phone was also missing. No suspects or witnesses.

A resident of the Bayside Country Club Apartments told police her purple 12-speed Mongoose bicycle was missing from the back porch of her apartment on June 28. She said it cost around $200. No witnesses or suspects.


A Cranston man was charged with shoplifting at the Macy’s store in Warwick Mall on June 25. Loss prevention at the store told police they recovered three items of clothing worth $169.50 from the pants of William R. Duclos, 29, of 56 Dallas Ave. They said he put two Armani shirts and a pair of Calvin Klein shorts inside his pants before walking out without paying for them. Loss prevention said they wanted restitution for the two shirts they said were damaged in the process. Duclos was also detained for failing to appear for a suspended license charge and as a probation violator.


Officer Jacob Elderkin reported a disturbance on John Street around 11 p.m. on June 9. He said they arrived to find a man being held down on the ground by another man. He said they pulled the two apart and the man who was being held started attacking police and spitting at them, saying he would kill them. The man was subdued and taken to headquarters, but police said he spit and kicked violently inside the car while officers investigated the incident. A woman told police she just drove up to drop off a friend when a man started screaming at her and accusing her of throwing rocks at his friend’s house. She said she didn’t know who he was or what he was talking about but he said he would kill her and “slap the [expletive] out of her.” The man who was holding the suspect when police arrived told them he saw what was happening and went outside and told the man to leave her alone and the man turned on him and punched him before he tackled him and brought him to the ground and held him until police arrived.

They said he repeatedly threatened police and spat in the back of the car and counted a number each time he spit. They said he got up to 20 before they got to the police station. Police said the man was banging his head against the bars in the cell and they decided to take him to the hospital to be checked out for injuries. He was restrained at the hospital and police said they had to take the cruiser off the road to be decontaminated from the spit and blood in the back seat.

Officer Randy Francis said he went back to the hospital around 6 a.m. to take the suspect back to headquarters for booking on assault charges, and the suspect ran amok again when Francis told him his cell phone was back at headquarters and assaulted Francis and had to be separated from Francis by hospital security. Dakota Cherms, 18, of 50 John St., was charged with assault, resisting arrest and vandalism. Court records show this was the third time Cherms was arrested since March and he was already on probation for assault. He was sentenced to a year suspended and ordered to get into substance abuse and mental health programs.


Officer Sokphannareth Chea reported clocking a car doing 50 on Warwick Avenue as it crossed over the center line and moved from lane to lane around 1:40 a.m. on June 23. He said he stopped the car near 1804 Warwick and noticed that the driver appeared to be under the influence and smelled strongly of alcohol. He said there were also bottles of Heineken on the back seat. Chea said he gave the driver a field sobriety test and he failed it. Luis M. Cardona, 20, of 59 Clarence St., Providence, was taken to headquarters, where he registered a .151 and a .142 blood alcohol content. He was charged with DUI, speeding, laned roadway violation and no proof of insurance. He was later released with a summons.

Officer Kevin McGuire reported he was on patrol around 12:42 a.m. on June 24 when he clocked a car doing 51 miles per hour on Post Road as it crossed lanes before heading onto Route 37. He said the car drifted over the fog line and almost hit the curb before they pulled it over. He said the driver appeared intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said he asked her out of the car for a field sobriety test and she failed it. Antoinette M. Delory, 26, of 12 Sidney St., West Warwick, was taken to headquarters, where she refused a breath test. She was charged with DUI, refusal and speeding and later released with a summons to a sober adult.

Officer Jeffrey Taranto reported he was dispatched to Moccasin Drive and West Shore Road around 3:40 a.m. on July 1 to check on a female slumped over the wheel of a dark Chevy. He said he woke the woman up with repeated shakes and noticed she smelled of alcohol. He said she stumbled when she got out of the car and he had to catch her as she almost fell over. He said they canceled the field sobriety test for the woman’s safety when they saw she could not walk by herself. She was taken to headquarters, where she could not give a proper sample for the breath test so she was taken to Kent Hospital for blood to be drawn for testing. He said she told the staff at Kent she wanted to be sent to Butler Hospital. Nevart S. Elmayan, 48, of 1811 Warwick Ave., was charged with DUI and stopping where stopping was not allowed and left in the care of Kent Hospital.

Officer Manuel Pacheco reported he was dispatched to an accident around 10:15 p.m. on June 22 at Oakland Beach and Ottawa Avenues. He said one of the drivers was unsteady on his feet and smelled of alcohol. He said he asked the driver to take a field sobriety test and he agreed to take it but failed to pass it. Stephen M. Cooper, 21, of 18 Smith Ave., Newport, was taken to headquarters, where he refused a breath test. He was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment