Police Log



On July 19 at approximately 3:54 p.m., Officer Jason Brodeur was working on a Neighborhood Intensive Traffic Enforcement detail when he heard from dispatch that officers were headed to the area of the Oakland Beach seawall for a report of an operator of a minivan, with three children in the vehicle, who had been drinking on the beach and had tried to back over the reporting party. The reporting party had told the police that the female operator was slurring her words and had knocked over a stroller with a baby in it.

While traveling south on Oakland Beach Avenue, Officer Brodeur observed a silver minivan traveling north. He then activated his overhead lights and completed a U-turn. The minivan was then at the intersection of Oakland Beach Avenue and West Shore Road in the left turn lane to turn west onto West Shore Road. The van then quickly turned into the right lane and turned right onto West Shore Road traveling east. Officer Brodeur reports that the vehicle then turned left into the parking lot of 2057 West Shore Road, proceeded to back up, then stopped.

Contact was then made with the driver, later identified as Leah Duran, 41, of 144 Park Place Apt. 1 in Woonsocket. Officer Brodeur observed three children in the vehicle. While speaking with Duran, the officer observed signs of intoxication. When asked for her license and registration, Duran reportedly provided her cell phone with her insurance information. She then went into the glove box and removed a stack of paper and began searching. She then stated she could not find her information and that her license was suspended out of Massachusetts.

Duran was then asked to exit the vehicle, at which time she allegedly said to the children that she was going with the police and would not be coming back. Duran was asked if she had been drinking. She allegedly stated that she only had two nips. She then agreed to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests. During the testing process, she reportedly told officers that “sober people can’t do this.”

Based on officers’ training and experience, it was concluded that Duran was impaired and unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. Duran was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters while Officer Steere remained on scene with the children, who were eventually turned over to the care of DCYF.

At headquarters, Duran refused to take a breathalyzer test. She was charged with one count of driving under the influence, refusal to submit to a chemical test, and driving on a suspended license. She was held as a bail violator, having been arrested by the Rhode Island State Police on July 11 for a similar incident in Lincoln Woods.


Officer Ali Jaafar was traveling north on Post Road on July 18 at approximately 7:21 p.m. when he overheard that officers were being dispatched to the north end of Post Road for a report of multiple dirt bikes and motorized scooters traveling south without any proof of registration apparent.

Officer Jaafar traveled north on Post Road toward Walmart, and did not observe any of the vehicles. As he passed Walmart, he observed motorcycles with drivers in the lot that were stunt driving and doing tricks. Upon noticing the officer’s presence, the drivers proceeded to disperse. As they left, the officer followed them onto Post Road without any lights or sirens to escort them out of the city safely.

While doing so, he noticed that Officer Matthew Caradimos had made contact with one of the operators of one of the scooters. As that was happening, all of the drivers had their attention turned to Officer Caradimos. Officer Jaafar proceeded to follow the majority of drivers as they continued down the road. One of the drivers, later identified as Elia Rodriguez, attempted to make a U-turn in the middle of the roadway. Officer Jaafar then parked his vehicle, got out and attempted to apprehend Rodriguez.

Rodriguez then appeared to lose control of the dirt bike by spinning and dropping it, and then attempted to flee on foot. Rodriguez ran across the street while removing his helmet. He then reportedly threw the helmet at Officer Jafaar in an apparent attempt to assault the officer.

Officer Jaafar was able to subdue Rodriguez and took him to the ground about 40 feet away from the bike. Rodriguez then allegedly stated he was “done,” put his hands behind his back and began to yell obscenities loudly due to his anger at being captured. Rodriguez was taken into custody and his bike, which was later revealed to have been reportedly stolen out of Providence, was placed by the side of the road and later taken away.

Rodriguez was held as a probation violator and cited for possession of a stolen vehicle, operating an unregistered vehicle, laned roadway violations, and headlamps required on motor driven cycles.


On July 13 at approximately 12:08 p.m., Officer Nicholas Dinardo met with a complainant at Warwick Police Headquarters to report a lost or stolen license plate.

Officer Dinardo spoke with the reporting party, who stated that his boat trailer registration was stolen recently. He said that he was notified of this by a delinquency violation notice for his boat in Falmouth, Mass. He checked his trailer and found that the plate had been stolen sometime before September 21, 2017. The trailer had been located at 5 Williams Street. The plate information was entered as stolen into the police database. There are currently no suspects or witnesses.


Officer Ryan Shibley responded to the Bald Hill Road Kohl’s on July 18 at approximately 4:29 p.m. for a report of an apprehended shoplifter.

At the scene he met with a loss prevention associate who informed the officer that a suspect, later identified as Theresa Dubois, 55, of 15 Jacksonia Drive in North Providence, was in custody. Dubois was observed allegedly selecting multiple items from the store’s electronics department as well as clothing.

It’s alleged that Dubois then went to a fitting room and concealed items in a purse. She then passed all points of sale without making a purchase. She was then approached, detained, and brought back into the store. There, a total of $39.93 worth of merchandise was recovered.

Dubois was placed under arrest and transported to police headquarters. She was issued a district court summons on the charge of shoplifting, and later released to a family member.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment