Does another rink really make sense?
To the Editor,
I have a lot of concerns about the 9/14 article about the ice rink at Warwick City Hall Plaza.
- It states it will further the revitalization of this area. There has not been any revitalization.
- How do we pay for maintaining this ice arena?
- The city cannot maintain the rotary, medians or plants in the circulator project. Weeds are doing fine, shrubs are dying, trees are not pruned properly and basically the landscaping looks bad.
- Can an ice rink and food truck really bring in enough tax money to off-set the cost?
- This area needs shops, restaurants and street parking.
- This area was called, “more pedestrian friendly.” I don’t think this is true. Driving through Apponaug is scary. How about using the rink money for traffic control?
- There is already an ice rink and pool in Warwick. We need to keep them looking like other cities and towns; nice, attractive and efficient.
- I don’t have any children playing sports. But I have been told our young athletes are ashamed of our sports complexes and equipment. Why?
- We could save this money for the schools.
Again, spend the money we have on what we have.
A Warwick resident who cares,