Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police

Officer John Curley reported he clocked a car with Maine plates doing 68 miles per hour south on Post Road around 12:20 a.m. on Nov. 1 before it got on the Airport Connector and started speeding away. He said the car had crossed over the centerline into the northbound lane several times before it got to the connector. He pulled it over just before the on-ramp for 95 north. He said the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said he ran some checks on the driver and then saw him slip a Listerine breath strip into his mouth as he was walking back to the car. Curley said he gave the man a field sobriety test and, “Due to my training and experience at the Rhode Island Municipal Police Academy on the detection of impaired drivers as well as my training and certification through the Rhode Island Department of Transportation on Highway Safety on advanced roadside impairment driving enforcement (ARIDE), I concluded that Mitchell was impaired and unfit to safely operate a motor vehicle.” The driver was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. He said he was on his way to headquarters when the man remarked, “I’m sure you’re glad you’re making your quota. I bet you break the law all the time.” He said the driver declined a phone call and refused a breath test. Joseph Mitchell, 30, of 59 Pleasant St. in Westerly, was charged with DUI, refusal, and speeding and laned roadway violations and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Nicholas Reay reported he was dispatched to the area of the Greenwood Credit Union around 9:45 p.m. for a suspected drunk driver on Oct. 26. The reporting party told dispatch he was following a green Toyota pickup that was swerving all over the road heading onto Post Road north and Reay said he caught up with the pickup just before the Route 37 on-ramp. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and had what “I observed to be a clear plastic cup full of a substance which I believed, based on my training and experience as a police officer, to be beer.” Reay said he gave the driver a field sobriety test and the driver failed it. Timothy McGurn, 47, of 80 Vincent Ave. in East Providence was taken to headquarters where he was charged with DUI and refusal and later released with a summons.
Officer Matthew Higgins reported he was on patrol on Bald Hill Road around 1:55 a.m. on Oct. 26 when he saw a car swerving in and out of its travel lane. He said he pulled the car over near Bald Hill Dodge and noticed that the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He said he asked the man if he had been drinking and he acknowledged, he’d “had a few drinks earlier.” He said he asked the man to get out of the car for a field sobriety test and he said he “didn’t agree with me and should just be allowed to drive home.” Higgins said he asked the man if he had any physical problems that would keep him from properly taking the test and he replied, that he is “68 years old and overweight” but indicted that he should be able to take the tests. Higgins said he failed the test but agreed to blow into a portable breath analyzer and blew a .132 blood alcohol content. James H. Ayer, 68, of 123 Robert St. in West Warwick refused to take an Intoxilyzer test at headquarters and was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations and was later released with a summons.

Officer Mark Jandreau reported he was dispatched to the Lincoln Park Cemetery on Post Road around 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 5 for a report of a larceny. He said he met with a woman who told him she was driving into the cemetery around 6:30 that morning when she found sprinkler heads and risers were missing from the cemetery and found 18 to 25 of the missing pipes on the ground on First Street. 20 sprinkler heads and 10 pipes were missing worth a total of $1,500. Jandreau said he called detectives and provided them with a copy of his report. Jandreau said he also posted a memo to have patrols make regular checks of the cemetery after hours. There were no suspects or witnesses.

Officer Gilda Fortier reported going to the Magic Years Child Care at 2890 Post Rd. on Nov. 2 for a report of missing hubcaps from the school’s two white Ford vans that were on the vans the night before. The assistant director of the school said all the plastic hubcaps on the driver’s side of both vans were missing. The passenger side hubcaps were still in place. She said vans were parked on the left hand side of the yard. She said the hubcaps cost $180. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Michelle Caron met with the owner of a 1993 green Honda who told her he got a call from the owner of Conimicut Auto the morning of Nov. 3 informing him that his car had been stolen from the business at 86 Warwick Industrial Dr. The owner told Caron he left the car with the business in early September to be sold. He said it had been sitting outside since then and the owner of the business had the only key to the car. Caron said she went to the business and met with the owner who showed her the only key to the car and told her the car had all the windows closed and all the doors locked. Caron said they were trying to figure out a timeframe for when the car went missing when an employee arrived and said he noticed the car was gone around 3 p.m. the day before. No suspects or witnesses. There were no signs of broken glass or other indicators of forced entry where the car was parked.

Officer Tomas Bogusz reported that a car owner reported a $1,500 laptop, a GPS unit, assorted CDs and a watch worth a total of $2,810 went missing from a car parked in a driveway on Norwood Avenue on Nov. 3. No suspects or witnesses and no forced entry.
Officer Quentin Tavares reported a $2,000 Mac Book Pro, assorted clothing and shoes, a digital camera and flash drive, and a Sonicare toothbrush were taken from a car in the parking lot of Legal Seafood on Nov. 7. The owner of the car told Tavares he had picked up his friend at the airport earlier and locked his luggage in the back seat of his car while they had a meal at the restaurant and found the rear window smashed and the luggage gone when they returned to the car. No suspects or witnesses or video surveillance was available.
An employee at Wendy’s on Bald Hill Road told Officer Christopher Lo she borrowed her boyfriend’s car to come to work that day and left it in the parking lot. She said she locked the car but the front driver’s side door couldn’t be locked and when she returned to the car, she found that the $300 touch-screen radio had been removed from the car. There were no witnesses or suspects, but the manager said they would check the surveillance after he spoke with the district manager.


2 comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Stop leaving your valuables in your car!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Warwick police officer Reay "I observed a clear plastic cup of a substance which I believed based on my training and experience as a police officer to be beer." This is the most rediculous and foolish statement I have read in a long time. I laughed so hard because it does not take police training to identify a cup of beer.

Thursday, November 15, 2012